Something that I especially liked about the book was that it talked about the role of free blacks during the epidemic. During the epidemic, Rush convinced free blacks who had survived the disease as children in Africa, to nurse ill whites, some of who even brought their slaves with them to the hospital. Despite indignities they had faced previously in the city, and the certain indignities that would follow after the epidemic, free blacks put much effort into nursing the sick folk of the city.This is just one of the fascinating aspects described in this book.
The book is wonderfully written, and organized. Although the reading level is a bit high for many elementary students, I would definitely have this book in a fifth grade or sixth grade library. This would be a great book, to add a little something extra to any lessons about America as a new nation. One cool thing to do with this might be to have kids pick an event from the book, and write an article about it for a pretend newspaper.
This book is a Newbery Honor book and has won many other awards, such as being a National Book Award Finalist.
Quite a find! I'd agree that probably such a heavy topic might be better in an upper elementary classroom - they're more prepared for it and you can do a lot more with the book! I love your idea about writing an article for a pretend newspaper - I might try that out sometime!
ReplyDeleteHave been reading this book in snippets over the last month and LOVE it! Our family got into Murphy with "The Great Fire" and "Blizzard" many years ago. This book might be my favorite text simply because it plowed new territory for me.
ReplyDelete